Air Safety Administration
The Department is responsible for the coordination, formulation and review as well as monitoring of aviation technical policies with emphasis on the promotion of safety and security of civil aviation in Nigeria in line with international standards.
The Department carries out the following functions:
- Coordinates and Monitoring of the implementation of Aviation Policies by the Parastatals and Private Operators at Airports and Airstrips in the country;
- Conducts and supervision of auditing / verification of the operation of Parastatals to promote Safety of Air Transportation;
- Ensures compliance with Safety Standards in the industry through extant adherence to National and International Standards and recommended best practices by operators and Parastatals;
- Identifies and recommend review on Aviation Standards in accordance to the regulation of ICAO, IATA and other related body in the industry;
- Ensures full investigation on safety matters and provision of necessary guidelines to regulators, operator and public;
- Promotes comfort, security and safety of air transportation in the country;
- Briefs the Honourable Minister / Permanent Secretary on progress/ achievement / constraint on the implementation of projects and programmes of the Ministry, and
- Coordinates with parastatals on relevant policy issues, through organising of Workshops, Seminars, Symposia and others, for public awareness and documentation purposes among other duties.
- Successfully completed and commissioned the Dutse and Kebbi Airports
- Retained FAA Cat 1 status with its attendant benefits to the Air Transport system in Nigeria
- Assessed and monitored safety in the nation’s aerodromes and airspace
- Conducted safety and technical oversight on all Parastatals.
- Technically evaluated the proposed Airstrip sites – BUA Okpella, Olam, Rukuba, PrescoObaretin, Edo, Orleans invest, Onne
- Participated in the safety aspect of the Airports remodelling exercise
- Formulated technical policies on Air transport operations in Nigeria
- Supervised Agencies’ duties as it affects aerodrome certification, Air navigation systems and management, security, airworthiness standards, flight operations and meteorological services
- Served as the Chairman of Aeronautical Service Committee in the National Frequency Management Council of the Ministry of Communication Technology